Blake and I have kind of gotten into this tradition of decorating the house for each other's birthday the night before so that when the other wakes up the house is all ready for their birthday celebration! So, on Thursday night, I waited until he fell asleep, then snuck out of bed and put out a few decorations. I'm sure he knew it was coming, but it was still fun to feel like I was surprising him!
The next morning, to start his day off right, I made Blake one of his favorite breakfasts...blueberry muffins and bacon, and I topped it off with a smoothie. Blake doesn't like cake, so I new we wouldn't be having a cake later that night for him to have candles on, but I think everyone should get to blow out candles on their birthday! So I stuck them in his breakfast!
After breakfast Blake had to head off to school (it's a shame that they don't give you a day off on your birthday!). Luckily he only had two morning classes that day so then he had the rest of the day to have fun and relax!
After Blake got home from school I told him that I had lunch and a trip to the golf driving range planned. Blake has been really in to golfing lately and has gone with friends and family quite a few times this summer, so I thought it would be fun for us to go to the driving range. However, I cleverly suggested that we open presents before we went out for lunch and our activity...
He opened his first two presents which were in gift bags on the table. However, the way his third present was wrapped made it a little obvious what it was...so I hid it and I made him play "hot and cold" until he found it!
I wonder what it could be!! A golf club is rather hard to wrap, so I figured I might as well make it obvious.
Blake's birthday presents: new golf balls, tees, headphones, and a new 6 Iron club
After he had opened his club he was even more excited to go to the driving range so that he could try it out. But first we went and got some lunch at the Cheesecake Factory. Like I said before, Blake doesn't like cake...but he LOVES cheesecake! So we went there for a yummy lunch and to satisfy his cheesecake craving.
After lunch our next stop was the driving range. Blake had a lot of fun trying out his new club. He liked it a lot which made me really happy! I was very impressed at what a good golfer Blake is, I have never seen him play before so it was fun for me to watch him. ME on the other hand...well, it was very apparent why I never go golfing with him! ha ha. I only hit a few balls, but I told Blake I definitely got a good work out since for every one ball I actually hit, I got about 6 swings in!!
Later that evening I had to sing at a wedding :(, so I was sad I couldn't spend the rest of the night celebrating. Luckily Blake's parents took him out for a yummy dinner at P.F. Changs, so I'm glad he didn't just sit at home and do homework or something...that wouldn't be a very fun ending to his day!
When I got home from the wedding I had one more surprise up my sleeve. I mentioned that Blake loves cheesecake, but one of his other all-time favorite desserts is Creme Brûlée...so I took a shot at making some! I had made it before so that it had time to set up in the fridge, but Blake got to help out with the most fun part...torching the sugar!
Making Creme Brûlée was no easy task! It's pretty complicated, so I had to give myself a little pat on the back when they actually turned out pretty good! Definitely not perfect, but I will continue trying and hopefully perfect the recipe some day.
I had so much fun celebrating Blake's birthday with him. I am SO grateful to have him in my life and I love that there is at least one day a year when it's all about him...even thought he doesn't like it, I love celebrating him and the person that he is.
H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y B L A K E ! ! !



Just found your blog, very cute! It sounds like a good birthday!
ReplyDelete