Saturday, June 16, 2012

The pineapple slicer ...

     One of the great things about summer is the yummy fresh fruit that is available! I love pineapple and Blake and I found ourselves to be eating it pretty frequently. One night we had our friends Greg and Melissa over and we we discovered that they too have a love of pineapple! Greg told us about this amazing pineapple slicer that his mom had. He had been trying to find one for himself but hadn't been able to, so I decided to make it my mission to find one!
     A week or so later I was out doing some shopping with my mom and we stopped and Bed, Bath, and Beyond! They have pretty much every kitchen appliance and gadget you could ever want, (and then some!) so I figured this would be a perfect place to find a pineapple slicer. I was right! After some incredible acrobatics by my mom to get the slicer down from the top shelf ;), I walked away with two slicers, one for Greg and one for myself! I took them home and was so excited by my find, I just couldn't what to use it. That night I attempted (attempted being the key word here!) to use mine to cut up a delicious pineapple that I had bought earlier that week. I was so excited to use it and tell you all how amazing this little slicer was that I documented the whole thing. However, I did not anticipate how horribly I would fail....

 The pineapple 

 The slicer

 Now, here was my first mistake...there weren't many directions to begin with on the tiny tag of the slicer, but it would have helped if I would have read what directions there were! I cut off the top of the pineapple, and the BOTTOM! Bad idea, read on...

 Greg had made using the pineapple slicer sound so easy! What I did not take into consideration was the amount of arm strength needed to work this thing. The first few turns went pretty well, but then after about four rotations I noticed that I was not going any further down into the pineapple. I just kept turning and turning, not going anywhere, consequently turning the middle portion of my pineapple into mush! 

 When I noticed that I wasn't getting too far with my own arm strength I called in some back up. Blake came in to finish the job...

 Which he did wonderfully! 

See how nicely the pineapple is hollowed out? That is what it's supposed to look like! However, as I mentioned above, it was not so smart to cut off the bottom of the pineapple because ALL of the pineapple juice went right out that hole at the bottom and all over my counter. What a mess! 

 This is the pineapple mush that resulted from my wimpy pineapple slicing attempt! 

     Long story short...the pineapple slicer really is cool! It worked really well once I figured out how to use it properly! I should have just been a little more patient and done some research or gotten a lesson from Greg before I attempted to use it on my own!

2 comments:

  1. Pineapple is the best summer fruit!! I've seen the slicer before and been scared to use it!

    Cute blog! I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's how the grocery stores do it! Cute post, check out my blog if you get a chance, and follow if you like!

    Jenn

    http://apopofstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete