Monday, February 6, 2012

Sister's Conference...

     Last Saturday was such a great day! I attended a "Sister's Conference" that Chrissy, a girl from my ward, was hosting. Chrissy served a mission and in her mission they used to do these things called "Sister's Conferences", which was basically a zone conference but just for the sister missionaries. Chrissy loved these conferences so much that she decided to continue doing them when she got home. She invited me and 8 other girls from our ward to meet at her house last Saturday morning. She assigned us all a topic and asked us all to prepare a short, 5 minute, talk or presentation based on the subject we were assigned. Some were spiritual (i.e. Being Daughters of God, an inspirational/spiritual song, etc.) and others weren't (i.e. fashion, cooking, crafts, etc.). My topic was Goal Setting. Chrissy asked me to set a goal, and kind of goal, and have it accomplished by the Sister's Conference (this gave me about 2 weeks). I started evaluating my life and tried to decide in which area of my life I wanted to improve in some way, hoping that would help me think of a goal! Well, in thinking about it, there were multiple aspects of my life in which I wanted to improve or change in someway. Well, I eventually found this little hand out (thanks to Pinterest!) that was the answer to my problem...

     I decided that my goal was going to be "be more well-rounded". I think it is important for us, when we are making goals, to focus on things that will help us improve in all aspects of our lives. If we just focus on one particular thing and devote all of our time and energy toward that one goal, then other parts of our lives will perhaps go un-nurtured. This little goal-setting challenge was so fun for me and really helped me realize how important it is to be well rounded.
     I loved everyone's talks and presentations at the Sister's Conference. Here are a few quotes that some of the other girls shared with us that day that I loved!

. . . . .

"You need never feel inferior. You need never feel that you were born without talents or without opportunities to give them expression. Cultivate whatever talents you have and they will grow and refine and become an expression of your true self appreciated by others."
                                                                                        - President Gordon B. Hinckley

"Happiness does not depend on what happens outside of you 
but what happens inside of you."
                                                                              - President Harold B. Lee

"Life has its share of some fear and some failure. Sometime things fall short, don't quite measure up. Sometimes in both personal and public life, we are seemingly left without strength to go on. Sometimes people fail us, or economies and circumstances fail us, and life with its hardship and heartache can leave us feeling very alone. But when such difficult moments come to us, I testify that there is one thing which will never, ever fail us. One thing alone will stand the test of all time, of all tribulation, all trouble, and all transgression. One thing only never faith - and that is the pure love of Christ."
                                                                            - Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

. . . . .

     I left feeling extremely uplifted and motivated. I am so lucky to live in such a great area and ward, and to be surrounded by such amazing and inspiring women. Thanks Chrissy for giving us such a great opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment